Great School Libraries – the questionnaire!

School libraries aren’t statutory, and in the UK no one knows how many there are, or if they are staffed or funded. The Great School Libraries campaign is a three-year campaign which aims to change this – collecting data about school libraries as well as working towards securing school library funding; producing a national framework for school libraries and recognition of school libraries within Ofsted.

It is about ensuring that all children receive the benefits a school library can provide. To watch a video about the impact of a school library see post below.

We are conducting a sector-wide survey of primary and secondary schools to better understand the level of provision of both learning resources and staff responsible for them. As you know, there is currently no definitive information on how schools are resourced – something we want to change. We would appreciate your help in gathering this information to provide a clearer picture of the situation and would be grateful if you could complete a short questionnaire.

Your responses will be treated in the strictest confidence and BMG Research, who are conducting the survey on our behalf, abides by the Market Research Society Code of Conduct at all times.

The survey will be sent to schools shortly and will be open between Monday 25th February to Friday 29th March. If you want to make sure this survey has been completed on behalf of your school please do get in touch with Jamie Lawson, Research Executive at BMG Research, via e-mail at Jamie.Lawson@bmgresearch.co.uk. Alternatively, you can contact him via phone at 0121 333 6006.

If you are interested in finding out more information about the Great School Libraries Campaign, please contact Alison Tarrant, Chair of the GSL working group via e-mail at info@sla.org.uk

Reblogged from the SLA website with permission.

5 thoughts on “Great School Libraries – the questionnaire!

1. I am a children’s authro and also a supply teacher visiting many schools across Sussex and Surrey.
    I have also undertaken some voluntary work in Redhill Library with schools and it is always great to promote and support libraries.
    I have seen many school libraries but, in recent years I have seen changes in book work. There seems to be fewer opportunities for ‘free’ reading but I certainly think the library should offer more.
    I write books about buses (as I once had a playbus and was also involved with a book bus project), the bus is a calm and cozy place.
    Recently I was thrilled to be invited to do a ‘World Book Day’ author event where the school had a library/reading bus.
    It certainly was fantastic to see and meet them.
    The school was ‘Shaw Primary Academy’ in Dartford.
    It may not be my local school library but it certainly filled me with enthusiasm and I wanted to be able to sit and read… but it was only a passing visit.
    Regards
    Sue Wickstead
    Children’s author

• I am sorry Sarah, we don’t have the ability to. Please do contact Jamie, the address is in the article. Every school has a personalised code, and only Jamie has these.

• We cannot help directly, but please email Jamie again. I know he has had lots of emails though and is busy trying to respond to them all.